Sapin-sapin is a sweet Filipino delicacy consisting of layers (sapin) of different colors. The following sapin-sapin recipe makes 10 servings.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING SAPIN-SAPIN
2 cups glutinous-rice flour (mochiko can be used)
1 cup regular flour
1 cup sugar
1 and 3/4 cups gata (coconut milk)
1/2 cup grated ube (“purple yam”)
2 tablespoons of annatto solution
1 cup toasted coconut flakes for topping
PROCEDURE FOR MAKING SAPIN-SAPIN
1. Prepare three bowls.
2. In each bowl, mix 2/3 cup rice flour, 1/3 cup regular flour and 1/3 cup sugar.
3. To the first mixture, add 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of annatto solution. Blend until smooth.
4. To the second mixture, add 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Blend well.
5. To the third mixture, add the purple yam and 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Blend.
6. Place the first mixture in a greased pan. Steam for 10 minutes and then take it out of the steamer.
7. Add the second mixture on top of the first steamed mixture. Place back in steamer and steam for another 10 minutes.
8. Take out the pan once more and add the remaining third mixture on top of the white layer.
9. Steam for an additional 10 minutes or until the top layer is fully cooked.
10. Let cool. Cut in diagonal shapes once firm.
11. Top with toasted coconut flakes just before serving.